Spring’s Mermaid Trend in Beauty
Spring’s Mermaid Trend in Beauty
Mermaids are taking over the fashion world this spring, and personally I can’t wait to get my Ariel on! Think metallics, wet-look and supernatural radiance.
|Left-Right: Reese Witherspoon, Evan Rachel Wood, Lea Michele, Sofia Vergera whipped out their tails for the Golden Globes (albeit less successfully in Reese’s case)|
I think this will be a really exciting trend in beauty, honing in the fun festive glitter to a more serene shimmer. Read on for a few ideas of how to experiment with the Mermaid Trend in the comfort of your beauty boudoir…
- Opt for pearly, dewy radiance with the help of highlighters over the brow bone, cheekbones, forehead and a dab down the centre of the nose.
- You can also apply the highlighter over the temples to achieve a more dramatic look.
- It’s best to use a liquid or cream formula to achieve a glossy finish, but if you have oilier skin use a powder highlighter.
For example : Soap & Glory Hocus Focus, Bourjois Illuminating Touch, Benefit Girl Meets Pearl, Inika Mineral Illuminisor.
- Eyes should be piercing and aquatic with a high-gloss finish.
- Choose dark green, ocean blue and silver hues.
- Apply a silvery base up to the brow bone and inner corner of the eye, then bring in the blues over the eyelid, with darker tones in the outer corner and crease of the eyelid.
- Cream eye colour will give you the best result. Alternatively, use your powder eyeshadows with a wet brush for more intense colour – make sure they’re a shimmer finish to begin with, though.
- Tip: to look like you’ve literally emerged from the sea, apply a clear lip gloss over the top. This one’s for full-time mermaids only.
Use : Too Faced Liquid-Eye Eye Shadow Transformer Eyeliner, Collection 2000 Metallic Cream Eyeshadow, Aveda Petal Essence Eye Colour Trio, Mac Paint Pot.
- Fairly straightforward – keep it shimmery and/or high gloss in blues and greens! The beetlejuice shades making an appearance are great for this (and I may have a little treat in store for my giveaway along these lines…!)
- Alternatively, go for a sandy shade to bring the beach to your fingertips, with a shimmery nude on the ring finger.
- You can also get creative with nail dotting tools – waves and shells are fairly simple, or impress with little sea creatures blowing bubbles across your nails for a more fun spin on the trend.
- If you’re going for the wet look fresh-from-the-ocean approach, get your hands on a salt spray for tousled beach hair – I bought Lee Stafford’s after recommendations from friends, and it really works. Tutorial could follow if anyone’s interested? If you dislike the crispy texture that you’re left with, Tigi now does a Sugar Shock spray for a sweeter treat which claims to give you textured hair without the crunchy feel.
- Hershesons make Instant Clip In Highlights which are currently half price, so you can add a little instant mythical colour to your crop! This is also a more wearable take on the wig trend creeping in for summer.
- Amaryllis over at the lovely Deeper Dazzle blog has done a great tutorial for a pretty fishtail plait, for the more coiffed mermaids among you. Personally, this is my favourite look on long hair and just embodies summery style!